Tag Archives: DIY

Lovely to see you again!

8 Apr

DSC_0124Hello Again!!

Geeze-o-peeze, it’s been so long since I’ve last posted! I definitely did not make my goal of a dress a month, but I haven’t been totally out of the crafting loop. I’ve made a few dresses, a skirt or two, tried and failed at knitting, started crocheting (and am actually doing pretty well), and even landed myself a new job (not quite my dream job, but it’s closer!). Eventually, I will get all of those creations on here, but for now, here is my latest dress.

DSC_0088

This little number was supposed to be a different fabric, but I saw this and decided I needed it. That’s how it goes with fabric sometimes; when you see it, you know. Anyways, I decided to use the Burda Style 7494 pattern. It started off quick and easy until I got to the end. I had so much trouble getting the right fit for this pattern! It took me a couple of weeks to get it right. I had to take in every seam in the bodice to get the top right, but that wasn’t the half of it. I had to add darts to keep the back by my neck from gaping. The original skirt was cut to be slimmer at the bottom, but that ended up making the top of the skirt look like a giant balloon! You guys, I looked like an apple on a stick! It was pretty awful. To fix it, I had to add a triangle shaped insert on each side and make it into a full skirt.

DSC_0076

I also had to shorten the zipper twice (because it would stick out), and I had to replace the pleats with gathers (which I had to then detach and re-do three times to get it right). With all of these issues, I almost gave up and scrapped the whole thing. It took me a week to even look at the thing again! I didn’t let it stop me though. I stuck it out (with more than a few curse words involved in the process), and now it might be one of my best dresses yet! Though, I will probably never make this dress with the original skirt pattern again, I will be getting some more use out of the bodice pattern. It was super quick and easy to put together and when sized right, it fits very nicely.

DSC_0109Look! I even painted my nails to match!

Even with the time it took to get this thing right, I went ahead and took the extra time to make a belt to match, which is a first for me. Another first for me-I actually used interfacing, and I might actually continue to do so as it really helped stabilize the neck line and belt. I might even go as far as suggest that every lazy seamstress like myself, take the time to do it. Seriously, do it.

Anyways, there you have it. The dress that almost wasn’t. I plan to try to add more creations, more often and keep this little blog going. No promises or deadlines, just me doing my best. I think it will work out better this way. To tide you all over until the next post, here is a complimentary silly photo of the boyfriend and me. Enjoy.

DSC_0155

Love,

Jess